Monday, May 23, 2011

I've got...

 
 
 
"MeasureMe" Sticks by Yanko Design





























your measure!



I love old rulers -





















Top row: Vintage "Pin It" skirt marker and folding stick rule

Bottom row: Vintage 1970s folding ruler, Vintage School House folding ruler and vintage collapsable ruler



and vintage tape measures -





















Clockwise from the top left: Collection of vintage tape measures, Wasco black 50' measuring tape, 1 2 3 Schoolhouse vintage black and white trim,vintage "Lady's Man" yellow plastic 1920s tape measure, red vintage leather tape measure and Lufkin white ruler ribbon measuring tape




and I love that they can teach us a little history too -





















To the left: Vintage Tupperware folding yardstick ruler and "Find it in The Yellow Pages" vintage ruler

And on the right: retro 1950s John Deere wooden advertising ruler, nifty vintage 1980 shoppers slide rule and vintage ruler advertising Sunbeam bread



They can make some interesting pieces when repurposed -




















On the left: Repurposed vintage wood ruler easel, Pin Action Ruler Brooch and vintage Stanley Ruler bangle

In the centre: "Charity" hanging doll and vintage yardstick coat rack

On the right: Vintage mini wood box and repurposed Bakelite business card holder


and when used in home decorating and embellishing everyday objects -





















Clockwise from the top left: "Nerd Journal", Set of four ACEO Tape Measure Collages by whitneysart, "Balloons Rule" vintage ruler height charts, "Tape Measure" digital print by AlixPassage, "Rulers" single switch plate by sarahbelle42, "Things That Are Long" letterpress print available from 1canoe2 and ruler notebooks by baileydoesntbark.



So there you have it, a little "Made to Measure" fun for you on a Monday! I think I feel a new vintage collection coming on! I might start with  this piece -








 a vintage 1938 "Tattle Tape" for women. You can read about it here!

Stephie x

10 comments:

  1. pretty much love them all! I have a soft spot for functional nicknacks.

    Hope you had a great weekend.
    e

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Stephie:
    Your collections of rulers and tape measures are absolutely wonderful and each of them really is both a work of art and a piece of history.

    And, how marvellous when these items have been 'repurposed'. We have marvelled at the imaginative and creative minds behind these transformations.

    But, the 1938 'Tattle Tape', now that really has captured our hearts. Women really did seem to be an entirely different shape then....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephie, this is a great collection. My dad is an Architect so he has a lot of old rulers!
    Grt, Helmi

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cute! and what a lovely new header :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to have an old folding ruler, I loved it...I wonder what ever happened to it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love vintage rules... meke me remember my school!!!! :) big yellow hug for you girl! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dear Stephie : Lovely post. Vintage rulers are a treasure! My father and my mother have some of them. Amazing compendium !
    Have a nice Wednesday
    Many hugs for you !

    ReplyDelete
  8. :-) cool, Stephie! your post made me think of my school too :-) hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! These look great...I know my dad had one of those cloth measuring tapes rolled up in a leather case and a folding ruler...I must find out if he still has them :) Have a great weekend Stephie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for all your comments everyone. I love to hear from you all. It's funny how these have bought back old memories. I could only think of my dad's old rulers and of school days while I wrote this post too!

    Hugs, Stephie x

    PS Thanks for the "Header Love" Kimia - glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete